Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The Golden Compass

The movie the Golden Compass is said “attack Christianity.” I feel that the movie encompasses a wide range of vivid fictional ideas paralleled with mythical creatures and a vibrant make believe atmosphere. As from my point own Catholic point of view, I find no reason to believe that neither the book nor the movie is trying to attack any religious view point. I merely enjoyed the film for what it was presented to me as. After the film when the class made the connection between Authority being the higher power and dust being sin, along with the magesterium wanting to rid the world of Authority in order to rid dust or sin, I still felt indifferent about the attack on Christianity. I know what I believe about my religion and I am able to accept other’s views as well. In an email interview with the writer Phillip Pullman, he said “First, the obvious hook for this story is the upcoming movie version of The Golden Compass, and there has been some talk in the entertainment media of late about the movie "toning down" the perceived anti-religious elements. Nicole Kidman, for example, was quoted as saying that she would never have signed on to the trilogy if she had thought there was anything "anti-Catholic" about the movies; and Chris Weitz has said the focus of the trilogy will be on "Authority" rather than "God", per se.” While the authors’ background may be atheist, I find little evidence throughout the film he is trying to actually persuade people to see things one way over another, rather than express what he believes. He has been taught one method and firmly believes such things, thus ideas are reflected through his own works. I feel people are more into trying to make mountains out of mo-hills if you will, rather than enjoying literature and films for their art and appreciating the views of each individual that makes up our gumbo of a nation.

No comments: